Brushing is essential; however, there are some things you may not have known you should and shouldn’t do. For that reason, let’s take a look at some things you need to be aware of when you go to brush!
- Always brush with a fluoridated toothpaste or gel. You want to prevent and even reverse those early stages of tooth decay, and fluoride helps!
- Pick the right sized toothbrush and use a soft bristle. Too hard of a bristle, and you’ll damage your gums!
- Set a timer and brush for two minutes at a minimum. Make sure that you get every single tooth and don’t rush it. Electric toothbrushes are excellent choices here!
- Keep mouthwash handy to rinse if you can’t brush after meals. If you can’t brush your teeth after eating food, as it’s not convenient, rinsing can help bacteria from swarming in your mouth.
- Make sure that you replace your toothbrush every three months. You can also replace it when the bristles are wearing out.
- Don’t forget to brush your tongue. Tongue scrapers or toothbrushes can do the job of preventing bad breath.
- Never share your toothbrush with anyone else – even family.
- Never begin brushing within 30 minutes of consuming fruits or juices. The acid will soften the tooth, possibly causing abrasions!
- Say no to hard-bristled brushes and go easy on the cleaning process. You don’t need to scrub your teeth until they bleed – just make sure you aren’t brushing too lightly!
- Keep toothpaste away from children under the age of two and always supervise their brushing.
- Never forget to rinse, as it will collect all of the bacteria you brushed away from your teeth.
- Don’t forget that brushing is often not enough! Visiting your dentist is important, and regular appointments should not be missed!
If you’d like to learn more about the best ways to brush, you have come to the right place! Smile 4 Ever is here to help answer any questions you may have about brushing! We are your local dentist in Houston, Texas, and we want to ensure you have dentists that sincerely care about your dental needs. To schedule an appointment with us, call us today at 281-213-5668.